Home maintenance is one of those things that is easy to forget or put off. Taking care of the following repairs in the fall can save you a lot of money over the long haul. If you're not careful, you can end up with a list of expensive repairs that could have possibly been prevented.
1) Annual HVAC inspection: Have the heating system serviced. Change the filters and make repairs as needed. This will prolong the useful life and efficiency of the furnace.
2) Chimney inspection: A simple chimney cleaning can prevent chimney fires and damage to your entire house. Inspect the chimney for loose or missing mortar. Check the cap and repair as needed.
3) Termite Inspection: An inspection might find subterranean termites that come from the ground or flying termites. Termite repairs can be costly if neglected.
4) Power washing and sealing wood deck: Power wash and seal every one to three years, depending on the amount of moss and mold. If you let it go, your deck will warp, nails will pop out and the deck won't last as long.
5) Dryer vent cleaning: The purpose is to get rid of lint buildup. If you ignore it, the result could be a disastrous fire. Once the vent gets clogged, the dryer starts overheating and it can catch on fire.
7) Siding and Paint: Look for cracks and holes in house stucco or siding. Replace caulk and paint as necessary.
8) Roof Inspection: Inspect your roof and make necessary repairs before the rainy season starts to avoid costly emergency repairs.
9) Carpet cleaning: Have the carpets cleaned. If the carpet looks dirty, you've waited too long because some soil can't be removed by vacuuming.