11 June, 2013


When you are selling your home, typically a home inspection is conducted. Among the many items a home inspector will check for is the presence of mold in the home.  If mold is discovered, the buyer will likely ask for further inspection and remediation before the transaction closes.

Mold can cause damage to the home itself, and also poses a health risk.  Indoor exposure to mold has been linked to upper respiratory tract symptoms in otherwise healthy people. People with mold allergies, immune-compromised people and people with chronic lung illnesses may have more severe reactions when they are exposed to mold.

Mold grows indoors and outdoors wherever there is a lot of moisture - in the air and on many surfaces.

Mold can enter your home through open doorways, windows, vents, and heating and air conditioning systems. Mold in the air outside can also attach itself to clothing, shoes, bags, and pets can and be carried indoors. Mold growth, which often looks like spots, can be many different colors, and can smell musty.

If you can see or smell mold, a health risk may be present. No matter what type of mold is present, you should remove it and work to prevent future growth. Mold growth can be removed from hard surfaces with commercial products, soap and water, or a bleach solution of no more than 1 cup of bleach in 1 gallon of water. If the area to be cleaned is more than 10 square feet, hire a mold remediation company.

You can control mold growth inside your home by controlling humidity levels, promptly fixing leaky roofs, windows, and pipes, ventilating shower, laundry, and cooking areas, and thoroughly cleaning and drying after flooding.

Please check the Centers for Disease Control website for more comprehensive information.

No comments:

Post a Comment